These tasty 100% plant based patties are a great alternative when you are looking for a healthier option. The hatch chile offers a mild warmth while the carrots add fiery, sunny color and hearty flavor. The oat and red lentil combination make a complete protein, leaving you fully nourished and feeling satisfied. This recipe makes 10 – 1/2 cup patties or 15 – 1/3 cup patties. These freeze exceptionally well. Great for a healthy last-minute dinner in a pinch when you need it!
- 2 cups cooked red lentils
- 1 cup cooked oats
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (like Ian’s)
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 4 oz. can hatch green chile (mild or hot your preference)
- 12 cloves roasted garlic (usually a whole head, or more)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Sauté the red onion over medium-high heat with a little water or broth until lightly browned.
- Mix the cooked lentils, shredded carrots, chiles, cooked oats, sauteed onion, cilantro, spices, and roasted garlic until you have a pasty mixture.
- Stir in the bread crumbs and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Mix again and add more bread crumbs if needed until you have a firm dough.
- Lightly oil hands and form measured dough into patties.
- Warm the burgers in a skillet until slightly browned on both sides. Eat immediately or cool and freeze for later.
Top with red onion, avocado, lettuce, and tomato for a perfect meal!